Tonight we dropped the big kids off at soccer practice and then wanted to take the little kids to play at the park. Of course we had to stop at a thrift store on the way because we noticed half-way to practice that Francie didn't have any shoes on. After finding a pair that Von could wear when his current shoes get too small and calming down the crying because they were boy shoes that Francie had to wear at the park, we made it to our destination. The kids had a great time, and I had my first public conversations (there were 2 of them) about why my kids looked different than me. The first one was pretty cute. This is how it went.
Little black boy (maybe 7 or 8) pointing to Von: That your son?
Me: Yeah.
Boy: Huh. I did NOT know that! He all black?
Me: Yeah.
Boy: Ya'll all white?
Me: Yep.
Boy: (shaking his head in wonder) Huh!
The next one was a little black girl who was probably 5 and she said, "Is he yours?"
I said yes.
She asked, "Why is he black?"
I said that's how God made him and she seemed satisfied with that.
Then I had a nice conversation with a lady who was saying how cute K was and how his hair was like her daughter's, so I got bold and asked her what she puts in it cuz I've been having trouble figuring out what to do with his. She told me to use a Jerry Curl product called "S Curl" for his texture of hair. The website is VERY cool...
http://www.lusterproducts.com/products/scurl/scurl.htm
It's the next level in hair care. You can learn a lot at the park apparently.
No comments:
Post a Comment