We have some very exciting news to report about our dear Louisa Joy... she has been without her NG tube for almost 2 full days and hasn't starved yet! It all started yesterday morning when she yanked it out in the middle of a very bad morning for me (dead Suburban in the Target parking lot, rescued by Nick's wonderful medical assistant Jenny who came and picked me up at Belle Tire so I could pick up Nick's car and finish grocery shopping, then had to leave an overflowing cart in the produce cooler at Meijer because the lines were so long I was going to be late to pick up Kelvin from preschool, went back to Meijer with Kelvin to purchase groceries, and then in the parking lot I started moving too fast and jerkily which is a problem I have when stressed and I ended up slamming my forehead into the corner of the car door while getting all the milk from the bottom of the cart, gushing blood everywhere. So I drove back to Nick's office with my teeth chattering, thinking 'this is just great, I'm in shock and bleeding out', walked in crying with a bloody napkin on my head and poor Jenny had to calm me down and also gave me her lunch while Nick put Steri-Strips on my face). Oh wait, was I talking about Louisa? So anyway, after all that, I told Nick I was NOT going to go through the trauma of shoving a new tube down her nose (I hate doing it so much and I'm so sick of that thing and it's so sad now that she's older and fights it with so much tenacity!!) and she was just going to have to make it until he got home to do it. She's been consistently drinking around half of her bottle before I have to tube the rest, so I knew she wouldn't starve to death. So for the rest of the day, I just gave her 3 or 4 little eating sessions per bottle and she pretty much got it all down! Now granted, I coaxed and bribed and it took quite a bit longer than the average normal baby, but she basically ingested most of the calories she was supposed to get for the day!! She's been waking up more at night since we stopped the nighttime continuous feeds (shocker), but last night she actually slept amazingly without the stupid tube tugging and bugging her! The only time she woke up was when Nick did a dream scream because someone was apparently breaking into our house and he was trying to beat them with the baseball bat. I deliriously slugged him to try and quiet him down, but the very unnatural sound of a dream scream understandably upset her a bit. So all that to say, Louisa has been without her tube for a couple days and we have fed her and given all her meds by mouth! It is pretty time consuming right now to get everything down, but so worth it! If you are still praying for Louisa (so thankful for so many dear, faithful prayers out there), please pray that she continues to take the bottle and that we can be done with that thing forever. This is a HUGE hurdle to get over!! Praise the Lord for my crappy morning yesterday, and GO LOUISA!!!!!
|
They do love to play with the tubes! 1000 toys around and they want to play with the g tube, a syringe, even their Broviak! Crazy babies :)
ReplyDeleteSo thankful the tube is gone!! JP & I (was Jean Kitchen) continue to pray for Louisa & your family!! I also post the updates on my FB timeline and Lousa has a HUGE fan club, oh, I mean really large froup of prayer warriors around the world!! And Louisa is Just So Adorable!! Prayers will continue!! Thank you for your updates! �� �� ��
ReplyDeletehurray, hurray, hurray!!! clapping...........
ReplyDeletea seemingly little miracle in the midst of lots of frustration is so very awesome!!! I hate nose tubes as well!! ;) if you ask I will tell you!! love you, Nick, & your whole family!! <3 <3 <3
Luci B.
In the midst of our daily trials and struggles, God makes his presence known even in a grocery store parking lot. Thank you Lord for the great news on Louisa. We continue to pray.
ReplyDeleteSo pleased to read this update.
ReplyDeleteThank You, Jesus!
Thank you so very much for writing this blog! We have a baby girl, due in April 2015, recently diagnosed with HLHS and your story has been such a comfort and source of hope! Just getting to hear your candid and heartfelt experiences has been so informative at a time of overwhelming grief and fear of the unknown. We so appreciate your testimony of faith and focus on Jesus. God is good and He is sufficient! I am praying for your sweet, Louisa and your family!
ReplyDelete