God moves in a mysterious way
His wonders to perform;
He plants His footsteps in the sea
And rides upon the storm.
Deep in unfathomable mines
Of never failing skill
He treasures up His bright designs
And works His sov’reign will.
Ye fearful saints, fresh courage take;
The clouds ye so much dread
Are big with mercy and shall break
In blessings on your head.
Judge not the Lord by feeble sense,
But trust Him for His grace;
Behind a frowning providence
He hides a smiling face.
His purposes will ripen fast,
Unfolding every hour;
The bud may have a bitter taste,
But sweet will be the flow’r.
Blind unbelief is sure to err
And scan His work in vain;
God is His own interpreter,
And He will make it plain.
This week, I felt the storm. I felt the raging sea. The clouds were heavy. The bud was bitter. My senses were feeble. What to do? I must preach to myself daily that He plants his footsteps in the sea. He rides the storm. The clouds will break with mercy on my head. The flower is sweet. I cannot judge Him. His plans were made in unfathomable mines.
Are you scanning his work in vain? Is it not making sense? Are you asking why? Perhaps you are using blind unbelief. It is sure to err. Believe. Believe in what? Believe that God is His own interpreter and he will make it plain. It makes perfect sense. It has full meaning. It is glorious in His eyes. We can be sure it is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory that is totally worth it all. Would you seriously give up an ETERNAL weight of GLORY for relief of momentary suffering? I'm tempted to say yes, if it would mean not dealing with last Friday again, but that was last Friday. Would I understand the smiling face, the mercy breaking on my head, the sweetness of the flower that I have today if I had not experienced last Friday? No, I wouldn't. Last Friday was the worst day of my life. But I wouldn't trade it for the sweetness of today's flower. And to think we will know this sweetness expansively and explosively for an eternity! I'd have it no other way. Praise God for the dark Fridays and for the sunrise that caused my baby girl to squint her little eyes this morning while she looked into mine. Soon, an eternal sunrise. Louisa, there will be no squinting required.
*****
Some of you are saying, "yeah, yeah, yeah. Blah, blah, blah. How is Louisa doing?!" She's doing well. She is a beauty. I've grown to love her cyanosis. It's endearing. Her little eyes open and then roll back in their ativan-induced stupor. But she's in there. She's getting her very first meal as we speak! Her mommy is for the first time part of the life support -- all that pumped milk that we imagined getting tossed into a hospital dumpster is right now being pumped into her little tummy. She's got 14 pumps going right now and one of them is Mom's specially formulated medicine. Finally, something natural. Granted, it's being pumped into her at 3 mL/hour through a tube running down her nose into her tummy, but who cares! Compared to the last few days, this is like a home birth with a mid-wife!
| Mommy feeds Louisa. There's lots of pumps involved this time... |
We are hoping to pull off even more fluid today and get her chest wound closed tomorrow. They are weaning blood pressure support and sedation and the next big deal will be getting her off the ventilator. And a closed chest and off the ventilator will mean we can hold her! Can't wait. Lord, may we see the day and see it soon.
So glad to hear how Louisa is doing. Thank You, JESUS, for this progress!
ReplyDeleteBut I was NOT in the yeah, yeah, yeah, blah, blah, blah group. What wonderful insight you shared from your heart and experience. Thank you for a good word!
Thank you for your thoughtful word, Nick. God is good....in all things. In the "graces" you are experiencing now and also in the events of last Friday. I love the line "God is his own interpreter." We so often try to "interpret" God's work in our lives and so quickly negatively "judge" things that happen when we haven't allowed God to perform his wonders. I am learning that God most often does his best wonders through difficult and often painful situations.
ReplyDeleteAgain, I so appreciate how you have opened your lives to allow us (so many of us) to journey with you and your family through the wonders God is performing in your lives through Louisa. Your posts have been a platform for God's wonders.
Do not give up hope. She will beat all the odds and come home to you faster then anyone can imagine. They told us ours wouldn't make it through the night. Then she did. They said she would NOT be home for 6 months and she was home in 3 1/2 weeks. She was supposed to have suffered major brain and physical illness and she is perfect. Everything is in Gods way and Gods time. I know now today that she was a maricale for all those who came and come into our lives. Thankyou for this blog - it the testimony of Our Lords love and presence that we all need today. We are praying and will continue to do so. :)
ReplyDelete